Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Full or Half, That Is The Question.....

I'm considering running the Half-Marathon in September instead of the full. I am bouncing back and forth on this one.

Reasons to run the half instead:
1. I've missed some training due to my hip injury, and I'm worried that it will flare up again as I increase weekly mileage and do the marathon
2. Jo isn't running the marathon at all, and I don't think that I can get a PR (personal record) without her. After the Green Bay Marathon we set the goal of 4:45 for the next one, which is a ten minute improvement.
3. My other running partner, Dave, has a similar hip injury and therefore is also light on training miles. I don't think that we could gimp our way to a 4:45 finish with both of us hurting.
4. ....I'm scared. I'm scared that I can't do 26.2 by myself. I'm scared that I won't have the cajones to keep going without someone running with me. I'm scared I'd quit. I'm scared I'd fail. I'm scared that I'd end up walking more than running and getting my PW (personal worst)
5. This is huge--Chris might run a half-marathon with me! When I confided in him that I was thinking of doing the half and going for a new half PR, he said, "I could probably train up to a half by then...." and he ran last night!!!!!! I've wanted to run a race with Chris for a long time. I've always hoped that we would.

Reasons to run the full Marathon:
1. I said I was going to. And once I say I'm doing something, I pretty much don't change my mind. I'm a tad bit obsessive compulsive that way....
2. It would be an opportunity to prove something to myself...that not only can I run another marathon, but I can do it by myself. It would be my achievement and mine alone.
3. Another medal for the shelf (okay, so I'd get one for the half, too, but whatever)
4. To show Libby that anything is possible for us ladies.
5. The amazing feeling of accomplishment and pride when (if) I finish.
6. It would be pretty cool to say that I did two full marathons in my daughter's first year of life (her birthday is the day before, but close enough)

I'm pretty torn.
I don't know what to do.

No comments: