Saturday, September 30, 2006

I'm Back From Charlotte

Wow, I'm exhausted. I've been in North Carolina all week for work and it's great to have a nice slow-paced day. I had fun, learned a lot, and met great people, but those were five very long days. Fortunately that will be reflected by a very nice paycheck in two weeks. That is helpful with paying for the new pink paint job on the bike and the 'warm and fuzzy family photos' (see sidebar).
I'm going to work on my race report soon, so hopefully I'll get that posted sometime tonight or tomorrow. My legs feel great one week post-race. The first couple of days were a little rough with all of the sitting on airplanes and in long meetings, but by Wednesday they were feeling good. Good thing, too, since I spent Wednesday afternoon shoveling mulch for a volunteer project. Now my lower half is good but am still moaning and groaning about my upper half. I think I may have actually injured my right shoulder, but I'll give it a couple more days before I decide. It has hurt pretty badly since that afternoon and feels more like joint pain/injury than sore muscle. It's the shoulder that has been worked on twice in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me all that much.
I start my class on the technical aspects of photography later this week and I'm very excited. It's at the technical college and only lasts six weeks, but I think that's all I really need to feel totally competent as a photographer. Next step is to invest in a nice portfolio of my work and try to wrangle up some more business. I'm hoping to talk to the local newspapers/magazines about freelance work in addition to the portrait and wedding work I've been starting to do.
I am preparing myself for the death of my computer. The mother board or hard drive or something is going. I've put all of my photography on disk and am trying to convince Chris that it's a good idea to start looking into laptops now, rather than waiting. I think that if we used this one less and took most of our stuff off of it (and moved to another one) maybe this one would even hang on a little longer... He has a laptop for work, so if I had a laptop we'd be set, with no need for a tower/monitor anymore. A laptop would be much more practical for my uses and would be a great tool for my photo jobs. Anyone wanting to join my fight and attempt to convince Chris that this is a better idea than waiting for this computer's death would have my full support.
Off for a trip around the block with Libby. Keep your eyes peeled for a race report soon.

No comments: