Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Reb Rocks the Tempo Run!

Tonight I had the best run that I've had in about six months. My training schedule called for a tempo run...five miles, running the middle three considerably faster than my normal pace. I was excited for a real training run...real speedwork... but I was scared that I'd not be able to keep the pace it recommended. But I did it. And more. After running my first mile at my typical pace I cranked her up to the tempo pace and held it for the full three miles. When I hit four miles I walked for a tenth of a mile and then rather than running a slower final mile, I ran it even harder than the last three. I ran faster than I have since sometime in the Fall, and it felt amazing.

When I started running a few years ago I never thought I'd break a 12 minute mile. I was always told (by many doctors) that I could never run because of my deformed knees and severe asthma. For years I had a recurring dream about me running and running and running and feeling euphoric. My friend Dave convinced me to try and told me that if I ran slow enough I could do it. He was right. I ran slow, but I enjoyed it and my knees and asthma did okay at that pace...most of the time. Over the last year, however, I managed to train up to an average pace of ten minute miles. My knees do great and my asthma is generally okay. Tonight I was running nine minute miles for a while. For me that's running like the wind.
I am proud of my run tonight. After a LOT of self doubt over the last few weeks, I'm back to my old self and ready to train for this marathon.

No comments: