Tuesday, June 27, 2006

When He Said "Stress Fracture" Did He Mean Mentally or Physically?

I went to the Sports Medicine Doctor this morning to get my hip checked out. As I mentioned in a previous entry, I was very worried that this doc would be like the one who told me I was ancient and dusty and should be as inactive as possible so as to not cause massive disintegration of my bones. Thankfully, he turned out to be a great guy. A runner. A marathoner, even. So he gets it. He gets the marathoner mentality, as he put it. He guessed (correctly) that I ran with this hip pain for quite a while before I was willing to take a few runs off. He also guessed that the pain must have gotten very bad for me to take those runs off and to come in to the office. Dr Marathon, as I'll call him here, said that I have to go in on Thursday to get X-Rays and a bone scan of my hip and pelvis. He is concerned that it is a stress fracture of my Femoral Neck. He also spoke of an MRI in my future but I can't recall if it was if I do have a stress fracture or if I don't.
Leading up to my appointment I was very freaked out that I'd be told I have a stress fracture and that I had to take the Summer off and that for the second year in a row I would not be running the Fox Cities Marathon. But when Dr Marathon told me that I might have one, I didn't start wailing and moaning and falling to my knees as I'd predicted. Because Dr Marathon said that if I have a stress fracture, we will work together to come up with a modified training plan that will get me to and through the marathon.
In the meantime, I have to lay off of the running and cross train instead. That means biking, since I don't swim, at it requires a swimming suit.
Don't get me wrong. I'm still freaking out.
But Dr Marathon had a way of gaining my trust and he told me that he'll get me to that marathon. So I am biking and resolving to do my most grandiose freaking out after the bone scan and/or MRI. I went for my first (indoor) bike today while my sick three year old (bad Strep Throat!) was sleeping. The hip didn't hurt while biking, and is only a little more sore afterwards. We'll see how my knees hold up.

Yes, my daughter has Strep Throat. and my other daughter is cutting two teeth this week. and my house is on the market. and there is an open house this weekend....again. and my husband is gone for two weeks straight, on business. and because of the tests and the Strep Throat I am missing a lot of work this week, which always makes me nervous. oh, and now I'm on another antibiotic which is one of the very last ones to which I'm not allergic, and if it doesn't work, I have to have sinus surgery. So, I'm thinking that I also have a stress fracture, mentally, due...well...to stress.

And now my husband called to tell me that he's coming home for the four day weekend, then going out of state again for ten more days.

No comments: